[Garnalennet] Recordpoging IDEC - Francis Joyon

niels tempel niels.tempel op trimaran-trojka.nl
Di Jan 15 07:51:34 CET 2008

Update over de voortgang en schade aan IDEC,

More damage has slowed down the giant trimaran, IDEC's progress during
the night. This time it was the staysail stay that paid the price of the
repeated slamming into the swell. "The sail went flying everywhere,"
explained Francis, "There was incident after incident, with a broken
block, which caused a hole in the deck... I had to get the tool box back
out and put some resin on it, repair the deck and recuperate my sail..."
27, 28 knots of wind coming straight at us in some tricky seas really
shook up IDEC throughout the night. At daybreak, the wind shifted more
clearly towards the east. More than ever in record mode, Francis hoisted
some more canvas and soon as the wind eased off slightly, let out a reef
and hoisted his staysail instead of his stormsail. "I still can't really
play around with the staysail, admitted Francis, as the furler drum is
broken.. I didn't get much rest as the boat was being banged around so
much".

Obsessed by the fragility of his mast, Francis remains focussed on his
trajectory and the timing required to hop on to the weather systems
coming up ahead. This 53rd day of sailing should offer him a little
respite with some cleaner seas and a more favourable wind angle. Less
than 36 hours ahead of his bows, he can see the Azores high coming up.
IDEC will leave this to starboard, in order to reach the south south
westerly flow, requiring a gybe. Francis will by then have taken
advantage of the calm close to the centre of the high-pressure area to
the movement of the spindle, which holds the shroud in place," he
explained. "I think I'll jam it in place by hammering it. Then, I'll
wrap a bandage around the mast. I have already put up a halyard to add
support to the starboard shroud."

Having done everything within his power, Francis will then be on the
home run, the final sprint that with the 40-45 knot winds that are
forecast looks like being an epic end to the voyage.

Bron: Scuttlebutt Europe, 15 januari 2008

Niels Tempel