[Garnalennet] finale sprint naar Brest; finish zaterdagnacht?? = 57 of 58 dagen!!

niels tempel niels.tempel op trimaran-trojka.nl
Vr Jan 18 00:06:24 CET 2008

Bron: BYM news

Round the World Solo: Francis Joyon expected at Ushant on Saturday night
Thursday, 17 January 2008
Exactly as he planned yesterday, Francis Joyon is working hard today to
find the best sailing conditions for the final few days of his round the
world voyage. The SW’ly wind has allowed him to remain on the Great
Circle route, taking him directly towards Brest. Caution is still very
much the watchword, as he listens to his boat, worn out after 55 days of
sailing and with more than 25,000 miles on the clock after the voyage
around the world’s oceans. This evening, IDEC will start to experience
some gales, generated by a low-pressure area circulating in the North
Atlantic. On seas, where the swell is now in the right direction, the
large red trimaran will be picking up speed again, but her skipper will
continue to remain attentive right up until the end, in order to look
after his equipment and avoid any breakages. Going through the Azores at
lunchtime today gave the single-handed yachtsman a taste of home ...
"IDEC will manage to obtain some more fine days, with 450 to 500 miles
under her belt..." With 1100 miles to go to the finish, Francis is now
expected to arrive in Brest sometime on Saturday night.

*Right at the heart of the Azores*
"I wasn’t very pleased about my tack yesterday afternoon," explained
Francis Joyon talking about his route strategy. "However, it did enable
me to pass through between the islands of Terceira and Sao Miguel in the
Azores. Sao Miguel has some high peaks, which can produce calms. I’m
trying to avoid them by sailing 60 miles further out." On the starboard
tack, IDEC is going from a high-pressure system today to the North
Atlantic lows without slowing down. Clearly aimed at looking after his
equipment, Joyon wishes to avoid as much as possible gybing in the gale.
"On the starboard tack, I sailed all night long under gennaker… It was
quite pleasant, because it was so warm." As the wind gets up, the sailor
from Locmariaquer has wisely decided since then to put away the downwind
sail and to hoist the solent. "I’m keeping an eye on all the bits of
equipment, where there are signs of wear and tear," explained Francis.
"In particular, my mainsail halyard is still worrying me, as it is
rubbing nastily against the mainsail track..."

While still refusing to talk about Brest and the finish, Joyon has
nevertheless confirmed that he will be taking advantage of some fine
conditions to reach the tip of Brittany very quickly: "Going through the
Azores, it is true that it is beginning to feel a bit like home," he
admitted. "IDEC will manage to achieve some more good days of sailing
450 or 500 miles..."